Monday, November 7, 2016

Death by Earthquake

I was stringing a guitar
Then suddenly
I felt insides I hadn't felt before

Now it was going on too long
My gut, my liver, or heart or something
Were banging up against my breath

This was the end of up and down
And the last of side to side

The world
My world
Was ending

Just for me

And in the final moments it
strummed the guitar like some mad ghost
Or a drug-crazed father

The drawers sprang out like a poltergeist
Or as mother would when packing to leave

And souvenirs around the house
clinked and clanked
Like some boy finding a coping piano

I grabbed someone
Tightly
I lied, "Everything is going to be okay!!"

My breath left as the walls and ceiling glared at me

I was feeling them hurt me

and then there was silence
nothingness...

Couldn't tell which had died
Me
Or the quake

In another room a friend yelled, "Fuck!!"


No comments:

Post a Comment